Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Moving Day, Bridges, An Owl-Tree And Sci-Gee



Hi again!

I've been moving slowly and steadily through my commissioned work, and I thought it would be a good time to show you guys the progress I've made! Above is a commission for Katie Shanahan, for her little sister of her OC Sci-Gee. Sci-Gee is a pale, fledgling pirate queen with vampiric tendencies and a mad 'tude.

I had a ton of fun working on this one. I took a bike ride to the beach this morning and came back with the color palette. Then basically churned this out over the course of the day while repeat-1ing this and this interchangeably. I thought it would be fun to include some process sketches, too- for good measure :)

I've felt pretty burned out these last few weeks, and it's really life-saving to have some time to myself to reconnect with God, art and my family...and some fun commissions to chew on. Thanks, internet supporters!

Anybody else out there want to pay me to do more of this stuff? It's fun!

It's also a good opportunity to sneak up on my age-old art weaknesses: ladies and architecture. Perspective? pfff. Anatomy? Ha! I'm a cowboy! I do what I want!
I've spent some time the last week biking the Cape Cod Canal, down towards the Bourne Bridge and sketching. Below are just a few little watercolors from my trips.


Then again below is another commission for Hannah Krieger based on her piece Owl Tree
Which is basically a very autumn piece. It's basically how Peter Gabriel makes me feel. I love him.
Playing around with combining watercolor and digital- never did find a way of doing that where I was totally pleased with the results- but this piece cried out for texture. It was a fight the whole way- but it made me curious about trying more in the future.


If you like what you see, and would like to hire me to do commissioned work for you, then please please let me know! Email me at nkole@g.risd.edu

In other my-life news, this week has been both elating and tough. I finally made the move back to my parents' place- and moving all my stuff this weekend was both a logistical headache and a heartache. Leaving always is. We also said goodbye to Mocha, our dog of 16 years. So the gloominess continues. But it is not without blessings, and God is not without mercies. Lamentations 3: 19-33 grabbed me by the gut yesterday. A good reminder that no matter how many the tragedies or how deep the grief, there is always hope.

Thank you all for your support and comments :) You guys are the best readers ever.
I'll keep arting if you keep reading, deal?

Much love,

-n

3 comments:

-fabi- said...

Absolutely beautiful Bible passage :) Needed to read that today.

The work is good too. :p

scruffy said...

i'm always fascinated at how much of what Jesus taught was already available through the Old Testament. The OT is just the NT concealed. The NT is just the OT revealed. God is the same now and forever.

Love the arts. Love just knowing you exist. Will support you as much as i can through prayer, brother.

SKETCHFro! said...

Bad arse! I love the illustrations!